Monday, December 19, 2011

Kim Dae Mun Korean Cuisine @ Concorde Hotel Singapore


Before I popped over to Manna Story @ Plaza Singapura to try out their Korean cuisine, Kim Dae Mun was my first conquest of affordable Korean food. Despite being situated in a food court, it's a far cry from what is deemed as "Korean cuisine" in every other food court.

Chicken Bibimbap (SGD 6)
You don't just throw some sprouts and meat together in a hot stone pot and call it Bibimbap. Kim Dae Mun's version comes with a everything you'll expect in your Bibimbap, except that sunny-side up. If you've eaten the authentic version, they actually use a raw egg yolk, so that a pasty rice mixture is achieved when it is stirred thoroughly. I forgive Kim Dae Mun here, on the account that they managed to conjure a really runny yet cooked egg. My sis (whom I brought on my second trip to Kim Dae Mun) mixed in the kimchi and its gravy so give the Bibimbap a spicier edge. The result?



I hope you're hungry already.

Yes, you're hungry.
One serving is enough to fill up a grown man, though the ladies might wanna share and order a side dish to share. My recommendation is their Ddeokbokki (Korean spicy rice cakes). The serving may look small, but it's really fulfilling with the spicy-sweet Korean chili sauce and a hard-boiled egg.

Ddeokbokki (SGD 5)

During my previous visit (hence the lack of photos), I gave the spicy cabbage soup a shot, and it was the best version I've tried so far. Just a warning for those who cannot handle spicy food, give the rice cakes and spicy dishes a miss. The Korean lady boss is really generous with her kimchi and spicy sauce! Oh, and do keep a lookout for the lady boss signal while waiting for your order to be prepared. She remembers faces. :)

Other food bloggers also recommended the potato pancakes and the fried dumplings, which I've seen many diners ordering during both my visits.

With Kim Dae Mun around, it isn't impossible to find affordable yet delectable Korean nosh anymore.

Overall:
Ambience: 2.9/5 (expect it to be noisy during lunch hours)
Food: 3.8/5
Price: $
Service: Mediocre/Satisfactory/Good/Excellent



Eat where:
Kim Dae Mun Korean Cuisine
100 Orchard Road
Concorde Hotel Level 1 Food Court

No comments:

Post a Comment